April 1, 2022 | Library Staff
April is National Garden Month!
Join Team McLib in celebrating National Garden Month and this year’s Earth Day with our various activities and our recommended titles!
On April 1st, in honor of Kentucky Arbor Day sponsored by McCracken County Civic Beautification Board, stop by the library between 11 AM and 1 PM to receive a free Chokecherry Seedling while supplies last. Click here to learn more.
Grab a Take-and-Make kit from upstairs for our April Showers craft, starting April 20th. Then watch the how-to video on our Facebook or YouTube when you get home!
Learn how to make a Magnetic Tin Terrarium with Amanda! View the how-to video on April 24th via Facebook Live at 4 PM.
If you’re looking for some fun, eco-friendly crafting and DIY activities, check out Library Assistant Amanda, a.k.a. Blonde on the Pond, and her DIY Craft tutorials on our YouTube channel!
Gardening is a great way to participate in sustainable practices to help preserve our planet. Join McCracken County Public Library #HealthyAtHome Gardening Group to hear about related programming and gardening tips from the community.
Click the titles below to learn more, check out digitally, or place a hold and pick up later.
Check out these Adult Non-fiction how-to books and hone your gardening skills!
- Complete Container Herb Gardening by Sue Goetz
- Garden Alchemy by Stephanie Rosie
- The Healthy Vegetable Garden by Sally Morgan
- How to Attract Birds to Your Garden by Dan Rouse
- The Kinfolk Garden by John Burns
- Make Your Own Indoor Garden by Sarah Durber
- The Modern Cottage Garden by Greg Loades
- The Modern Homestead Garden by Gary Pilarchik
- The Southeast Native Plant Primer by Larry Mellicamp
- Winterland: Create a Beautiful Garden For Every Season by Cathy Rees
Here are our recommended gardening and environment-friendly Juvenile Titles:
- Earth Day and the Environmental Movement by Christy Peterson
- Forest Talk: How Trees Communicate by Melissa Koch
- The Green Teen Cookbook
- Grow A Garden! by Alexis Frederick-Frost
- Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
- Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
- Living Simply: A Teen Guide to Minimalism by Sally McGraw
- Michelle’s Garden: How the First Lady Planted Seeds of Change by Sharee Miller
- One Earth: People of Color Protecting Our Planet by Anuradha Rao
- One Millions Insects by Isabel Thomas
- The Secret Garden: a graphic novel by Mariah Marsden
- The Secret Garden of George Washington Carver by Gene Barretta
- The Sprite and the Gardener by Rii Abrego
- The Story of Seeds by Nancy F. Castaldo
- What A Waste by Jess French
Early Titles for the little ones:
- The Bear’s Garden by Marcie Colleen
- Climate Change and Life on Earth by Chinwe Onuoha
- Earth Day Every Day by Lisa Bullard
- Garden Jungle by Hélene Druvert
- Go Green with Sesame Street series
- Here We Are: Notes on Living on Planet Earth by Oliver Jeffers
- If We Were Gone: Imagining the World without People by John Coy
- In My Garden by Charlotte Zolotow
- Jayden’s Impossible Garden by Mélina Mangal
- My Friend Earth by Patricia MacLachlan
- My Nana’s Garden by Dawn Casey
- One Earth by Eileen Spinelli
- Save Energy, Bert and Ernie! by Jennifer Boothroyd
- Thank You, Earth by April Pulley Sayre
- Wild by Emily Hughes
Sit back and watch some nature and gardening docs:
- Blue Planet
- Curious George Goes Green
- Earth: One Amazing Day
- Fire in Paradise
- The Garden Pantry Series
- Get Growing
- Greatest Gardens
- Perennial Vegetable Gardening
- Planet Earth
- Watch It Grow!
- Wild Yellowstone
Here at McCracken County Public Library, our mission is to help you grow! Learn about gardening, conservation–all with your handy library card.